“Social Texts, Social Audiences, Social Worlds: The Circulation of Popular Dance on YouTube.” Dissertation. Ohio State University, 2019. OhioLINK Electronic Theses and Dissertations Center. https://bit.ly/33BkFPy
“Word Play Combinations, Metaphor, and Mimesis: Janelle Ginestra’s ‘7 Rings’ and a Few of my Favorite Things.” Peephole Journal 13 (2019). http://peepholejournal.tv/issue/13/03-harlig/
“‘Fresher Than You’: Commercial Use of YouTube-Native Dance and Videographic Techniques.” International Journal of Screendance 9 (2018): 50-71. https://bit.ly/2vjP5aX
“Communities of Practice: Active and Affective Viewing of Early Social Dance on the Popular Screen.” Oxford Handbook of Dance on the Popular Screen. Ed. Melissa Blanco Borelli. New York; Oxford UP, 2014. https://bit.ly/3biIIaW
“The Madison Rises Again: History and Community at Columbus Ohio’s 1960s Dance Party.” Dance ACTions — Traditions and Transformations: Proceedings of International Conference of Nordic Forum for Dance Research and Society of Dance History Scholars. Trondheim, 8-11 June 2013. 131-139. https://bit.ly/2NYQz48.
The History and Aesthetics of Bronx-based B-boying 1975-1985 and Luanda’s Dança Kuduro: An Analysis of Development and Dissemination. Honors Thesis, Cornell University, 2010. http://wp.me/p19YGg-6D.
Around the Web
Interviewed for, quoted in LATimes: Easter, Makeda. “Rise of the Dancefluencer.” 16 Jan 2020. https://lat.ms/3bga2GE
Guest on That Bleeping Podcast popular culture roundtable, episode on Can’t Hardly Wait. 29 July 2018. https://bit.ly/2CMsGpZ
Guest post PoPMoves: International Research Group for Performances of the Popular “Dancing the Francophone Postcolony on YouTube” 19 Sept 2015. http://bit.ly/2xBjjG0
ReadyMadeBouquet: solo-authored popular dance and internet culture blog. Read some of my favorite posts:
- “PURPOSE: The Movement | Video Review” visual album analysis filmed with Elena Benthaus. 20 Nov 2015. http://bit.ly/2D19jY9.
- “What Does Plagiarism *Feel* Like? More on the ‘Countdown’ Conversation.”12 Oct 2011. http://bit.ly/2H8a3gi
- Rosas Danst Rosas and Beyoncé’s ‘Countdown.’” 7 Oct 2011. http://bit.ly/2oT6naN
- Encyclopedia of Bboying 1975-85. https://bit.ly/2PUQZqt
- Encyclopedia of Kuduro 2000-2010. https://bit.ly/2pr5E1c
Sartorial Scholars: Feminist Fashion academic blogging collective. Here are a few selected posts I wrote:
- “Black&White Wednesday: The Craft.” Introductory essay: “Witches in (Pop-Culture) Context.” 30 Oct 2017. http://bit.ly/2tltujX
- “Lookbook: Second Glass of Lemonade.” Essay on costumes and textiles in Lemonade. 12 May 2016. http://bit.ly/2FdEPrz
- “Roundup: #WednesBey.” Introductory essay on Lemonade’s steamfunk aesthetic. 11 May 2016. http://bit.ly/2Fgjyhi
- “Purim Costumes As a Feminist Scholar.” 23 March 2016. http://bit.ly/2FXTftm
- “What to Wear: Downton Abbey Series Finale.” On 20s fashion and Downton costuming. 6 March 2016. http://bit.ly/2tiwsFR